Friday, 19 April 2013

Mechanic Training!! Keeping Up With Technology!!!

Mechanic Training Skills Gap
Mechanic Training


It is no lie that the automotive sector is an area in which technology moves fast. New models of car roll off production lines around the world, equipped with technological upgrades almost daily. This creates a constant skills gap between technology and the Mechanics skill levels. 'Mechanic training' is key to narrowing this gap before the gap gets too great. 

As a mechanic it can be hard to know in which areas you should seek training. Currently nearly all Mechanic training is centered around electronics and diagnostics, it is then broken down into various sub-categories and each of these have their own sub-categories. Allow me to illustrate this.


Mechanic Training Breakdown
Mechanic Training Breakdown
This illustration by no means lists all available mechanic training, it only serves to show how each category can be broken down into different training modules. 

In an ideal world every mechanic would attend a course on every possible system, need I say this is impossible!!! The trick is to identify your own specific areas of weakness. In other words what do you feel you can learn through your own through experience versus, areas you feel would be best taught to you via training. 

There are various sources of mechanic training, these can include but are not limited to.
  • Research, the internet is a wealth of information and is often more up to date than books. 
  • Workplace training. Colleagues and employers could provide training within the workplace i.e on the job.
  • Attending training courses. 
I am a strong advocate of self learning through research. Not just because it is cheap or free, but because I can do it at my own pace, in my own time and I can tailor it to my own workplace. 

Unfortunately these self learning techniques are no substitute for recognised qualifications such as NVQs, Diplomas and Degrees, when it comes to obtaining a new job. Nor is it a substitute any mandatory training, for example F-Gas handling NVQ for air-conditioning.

Self learning can also be advantageous to anyone attending mechanic training courses in the near future. It is good practice to try and obtain a bit of underlying knowledge related to the course you are attending, this way you won't get left behind in the class. It can also help you to identify good questions to ask the trainer. 

As I have said self learning is great, however its un-certificated. It is hard to prove your knowledge when attending an interview without having any certificates to back it up. I still remains good practice to attend certificated mechanic training courses. You should however ensure that any course you are thinking of paying for yourself, is industry recognised, or at very least independently regulated. Anyone can produce a training course and hand out certificates, these certificates are for the most part useless apart from proving you attended a course. If the training is related to specific diagnostic tools, ensure if is either provided by the tool manufacture or providing the training on behalf of the manufacture.

I didn't want to make this article too long so i will leave it there for now. I shall return to this topic soon.

I hope this provides some light on mechanic training and how to identify areas you could do with training!

Let me know if you have an automotive topic you would like me to cover. I will do my best to write an article for you!!

More on mechanic training here. Mechanic Training Website

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog! I never ever read such kind of information that imparted me great knowledge. Chino Hills Auto Repair Pros

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really very awesome blog more than ever to those new to blogosphere, concise and perfect information… luxury car hire los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is really attention-grabbing for me; I will definitely bookmark your website. Thanks 6 channel car amplifier reviews

    ReplyDelete